Thursday, November 10th, 2011...2:56 pm

Bridge to Terabithia

Jump to Comments

In the first three chapters of Bridge to Terabithia, Katherine Paterson introduces us to Jess and his family.  As the only boy sandwiched between 4 sisters, Jess  seems to feel his family treats him differently than they treat the girls. On the contrary, Jess seems to find peace when running or spending time with Miss Edmunds.   Do you think Jess’s family treats him differently? Why or why not?  Why do you think running and Miss Edmunds’s appreciation for his art are important to Jess?  Use specific examples from the book to support your thoughts.

5 Comments

•   miksa1213
    November 10th, 2011 at 4:51 pm

I agree that Jess’s family treats him differently. They pamper the girls by letting them go shopping, while Jess has to stay home and help his mom do the chores. I think running is important to Jess because it allows him to let his stress out and he always excells at it. I think Miss Edmunds is important to Jess because she is the only person who appreciates his quirky way of drawing. I can’t wait to find out what happens next!

•   William
    November 10th, 2011 at 5:29 pm

I think Jess’s family treats him very different. They let the girls go shopping and made Jess do chores. I do not know why they treat the boy of the family the worst and I would like to know. I think Miss Edmunds is important to Jess because she encourages Jess and appreciates his art work. I think running is important to Jess because when he does it he is being himself and having fun. William W.

•   lelpr1213
    November 10th, 2011 at 7:29 pm

Hi Miss. Johnston this is Lele P.
    I feel that in the book Jess’s family treats him very
    differently. I think this because while his sisters get to go shopping he had to do hard chores like picking beans. Also his dad doesn’t support him wanting to be an artist. I think that Miss. Edmunds appreciates Jess’s artwork because she thinks they are very well drawn, very adventurous because he sometimes draws monsters, and very detailed. I also think running is an important thing to Jess because when it is time for recess he wants to outrun every boy so people will call him “the boy who could outrun every boy in the 5th grade.” So far I really like this book it makes me feel as if I am really there. Good bye and see you tomorrow!

•   Kate C
    November 10th, 2011 at 7:49 pm

I do think that Jess’s family treats him differently than the girls. An example is when he had to milk the cow and do all the other chores and the girls got to go shopping with their dad. I think running is very important to him because he wants to win the race and be the fastest kid at school. Also, running is important to him because it makes him feel relaxed. I think Miss Edmunds is important to him becuase she is the only one that admires him artwork. All his family and the other teachers think it is just a bunch of scribbles all over the page. Miss Edmunds sees a picture with monsters and hippos, and not bad drawings, great drawings. I think Miss Edmunds was the one that made Jess keeps drawing because she said to Jess to keep it up. I am really liking the book so far and want to read more.

•   wyatt millner
    November 11th, 2011 at 8:21 am

I think Jess’s family treats him very differently because the girls always get to do fun things. Also they get to go by things at stores. That is not fair to Jess because he has to stay home and do all the chores. Also he really wants to be a artist when he grows up but his dad always discoureges him every time he shows him one of his drawings. And he really wants paint brushes but he is not allowed to get them. I think this is a really good book!
    from, Wyatt Millner